Polyacrylamide Description and Purpose
Polyacrylamide (PAM) is a chemical that can be applied to disturbed oils at construction sites to reduce erosion and improve settling of suspended sediment. PAM increases the soil’s available pore volume, thus increasing infiltration and reducing the quantity of stormwater runoff that can cause erosion. Suspended sediments from PAM treated soils exhibit increased flocculation over untreated soils. The increased flocculation aids in their deposition, thus reducing stormwater runoff turbidity and improving water quality.
PAM is suitable for use on disturbed soil areas that discharge to a sediment trap or sediment basin. PAM is typically used in conjunction with other BMPs to increase their performance.
- Rough graded soils that will be inactive for a period of time.
- Final graded soils before application of final stabilization(e.g., paving, planting, mulching).
- Temporary haul roads prior to placement of crushed rock surfacing.
- Compacted soil road base.
- Construction staging, materials storage, and layout areas.
- Soil stockpiles.
- Areas that will be mulched.
1.0 Material Description
ANIONIC POLYACRYLAMIDE BLOCK: ENVIRONMENTALLY FRIENDLY; NON-TOXIC TO PLANTS & ANIMALS; NON-CORROSIVE – WILL NOT CHANGE PH OF SOIL OR WATER.
2.0 PRINCIPAL USE:
Primary Uses: To clarify water effluent coming from disturbed soils. CONSTRUCTION SITES – DRAINAGE BASINS – AGRICULTURE IRRIGATION FURROWS. SOILOC PAM BRICK is designed to be placed directly in areas of concentrated flow of water. The brick dissolves @ 10 ppm releasing the PAM in to the moving water. Flocculates the suspended solids causing them to clump & drop out. Eliminates the need for mechanical feeding systems.
3.0 Physical Properties
- Appearance: Gray solid block Weight (dry product): 5lbs./gal.
- Stability (dry product): 5 years
- Stability (in solution): 7-10 days
- Odor: Odorless
- Acrylamide monomer 0.05% Charge density: 10% - 55% by wt.
Anchor in ditches / manholes / catch basins as far upstream as possible. The dissolved acrylamide must mix well in the moving water and have the opportunity to settle out the suspended solids.
Small Jobs: Use 1 brick / 1 acre drainage basin.
Large jobs: Calculate the number of bricks needed based on the weight of water being treated.
Recommended dose – 10 ppm. Inspect after each rain event. Normally lasts 2-4 months.
10 # blocks, individually boxed, 144 / pallet.
6.0 Storage of Polyacrylamide
- Keep Dry
- Keep from freezing.
7.0 Storage of Polyacrylamide
- KEEP OUT OF THE REACH OF CHILDREN.
- CLEAN UP SPILLS ON HARD SURFACES.
- SLIPPERY WHEN WET.
- AVOID BREATHING DUST.
- USE NO MORE THAN 200# / ACRE / YEAR TO COMPLY WITH EPA REGULATIONS.
8.0 Clean Up
All equipment can be cleaned with water and brush.